Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Not-So-Bourbon Bourbon Chicken

I must preface this by stating there is no bourbon in this recipe, but to many your probable dismay.  Sorry.  I must also say, I can't say as if I know what actual bourbon chicken tastes like, but this was pretty darn good.  I suppose I would just call it "some sort of Asian-style chicken", as it had those flavors, none of which were actual bourbon. 

With a combination of ingredients you are bound to have on hand already, this is a quick fix for take-out, where yet again, you control the sodium and the ingredients in general.  While the original recipe called for chicken thighs, I chose chicken breasts since they are a bit better for us.  I also used Splenda instead of actual sugar.  The sauce was very flavorful and the sauteed onions and garlic really make this dish.  Serve this up with some steamed broccoli and rice and you've got what you would normally get when the delivery shows up!

Oh, and mom?  No need to double the sauce - there was plenty!

Not-So-Bourbon Bourbon Chicken
Not-So-Bourbon Bourbon Chicken

What You Need:
  • 3 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 large garlic cloved, minced
  • 6 packets Splenda (or 1/4 c sugar)
  • 1/4 c soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp ketchup
  • 1 tbsp vinegar (I used white wine vinegar because it's what was in my pantry)
How You Do It:
  1. Saute onions in oil until golden. 
  2. Add chicken and garlic, and cook until chicken is no longer pink.
  3. In a small bowl, combine sugar, soy sauce, ketchup, and vinegar.  Once chicken is fully cooked, add sauce to pan, toss chicken to coat, and let simmer until the sauce naturally thickens.
Not-So-Bourbon Bourbon Chicken recipe adapted from KeyIngredient.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment