Tuesday, August 20, 2013

PB&J Meatballs

PB&J Meatballs?  One wouldn't normally think to combine these flavors - in fact, when my neighbor found this recipe in one of my cooking magazines on the coffee table, he too wasn't sold.  But I was intrigued.  Reminds me of that classic episode of Friends when Rachel makes the trifle and mistakenly combines two recipes: one for a dessert trifle, one for a Brittish meat version.

Joey:  I mean, what's not to like? Custard, good. Jam, good. Meat, good! 

So what's not to like? Peanut butter, good. Jelly, good. Meatballs, good!

The sauce comes out sticky and sweet, with a hint of teriyaki, peanut butter, and even the grape jelly.  I used chunky peanut butter because it's what we keep in the house and a low-sugar grape jelly to control some of the sweetness.  I also didn't have any regular teriyaki sauce in the house (I know, right?!), but I did have some island teriyaki, so I used that. 

Now, I know you're still not sold - who would actually try something like this?  Well, I would - and I'm not sorry.  

PB&J Meatballs
PB&J Meatballs

What You Need:
  • 1/2 c grape jelly 
  • 1/3 c teriyaki sauce
  • 1/3 c peanut butter
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1/4 tsp sriracha
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 package frozen turkey meatballs
How You Do It:
  1. Combine all ingredients expect meatballs in a large skillet; whisk over medium-high heat until silky smooth.
  2. Add meatballs (frozen); heat until bubbly, stirring frequently.
  3. Simmer uncovered 15-20 minutes until meatballs are heated through.
PB&J Meatballs recipe adapted from a Target ad in one of my many food magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment