Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Lemon & Mushroom Orzo

This has been a strange week in our house.  My husband has been pretty under the weather and hasn't much gotten off the couch, let alone eaten much, so there hasn't been much cooking around here.  Tonight, however, he was finally feeling better so dinner was in order.  I put in a good workout, so a light dinner for me was perfect and with my husband's stomach finally coming around, he too wasn't interested in anything all too heavy.

I had two packages of mushrooms in the refrigerator for a dish I had originally planned on making this week and didn't, so I had just the recipe to try out.

Just the right amount of lemon, garlic, mushrooms, and a hint of basil, this made enough for us each to have dinner and another five, yes five, packages in the refrigerator.  This would most certainly make for a good side dish for a dinner party.  I will remember that...

Lemon & Mushroom Orzo

What You Need:

Lemon & Mushroom Orzo
  • 1 package orzo (1 lb.)
  • 3/4 c sliced almonds, toasted
  • 2 lemons (the juice of both and the zest of one)
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 8-oz packages sliced mushrooms
  • 3 large cloves garlic, pressed
  • 12 basil leaves, chopped


How You Do It:

  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook orzo according to package.  Once the orzo has fully cooked, drain and rinse.
  2. While the water boils and orzo cooks, heat oil in a large rimmed pan.  Saute mushrooms.  Once the mushrooms start to soften, add garlic and continue to saute until mushrooms are fully softened.
  3. Add the lemon juice, zest, toasted almonds, and basil.  Stir to combine, then fold in cooked orzo.


Next time I might sprinkle this with some parmesan...


Lemon & Mushroom Orzo adapted from EveryDay with Rachael Ray

1 comment: