Thursday, July 26, 2012

Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs


One of my husband's favorite meals (which I must admit I don't make all that often due to my affinity for trying new recipes) is a meatball recipe.  Not your average meatballs-in-red-sauce recipe, but one with lots of garlic.  When I came across this one, I knew it would be a winner.  Garlic and ginger - two of our favorite flavors.  What could be wrong?!  So tonight, I gave it a try...

But before you read much further or try this one yourself, there is one thing you must remember when studying and/or trying any of the recipes I post:

I use a ton of garlic.  When a recipe calls for garlic, I usually at least double it.  So when you see the amount of garlic listed in the posts, the quantity is the actual amount I used, not what was originally sited.  Therefore, use the amount of garlic you like -- or go big and use what I do.  If you're anything like us, you won't be sorry!

Now then...

Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs
Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs


What You Need for the Meatballs:

  • 1 1/4 lb. ground turkey
  • 3 large clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp fresh ginger
  • 1/4 cup chopped Italian Parsley
  • 1/2 tsp  ground allspice
  • 1/4 cup egg substitute
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. panko breadcrumbs


What You Need for the Sauce:

  • 2.5 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2.5 tbsp water
  • 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sayce
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 2 tsp fresh ginger
  • 3 large cloves garlic, minced


How You Do It:

  1. Preheat oven to 350*.
  2. Add all ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl and, using your hands, mix to combine.  Using about 2 tbsp (or the amazing meatball shaper I got as a wedding gift) form meatballs and place on baking sheet.
  3. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
  4. Meanwhile, whisk all sauce ingredients together in a saucepan.  Simmer until slightly thickened.
  5. Once meatballs are cooked, place into saucepan and cover with sauce.  



Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs recipe adapted from Tracey's Culinary Adventures

No comments:

Post a Comment