Monday, April 15, 2013

Southwest Tortilla Bake

"Don't mind that this looks like mush," I said as we sat down to the table for dinner tonight.  Yep, tonight's meal didn't make the best of presentation, and frankly, I should have snapped a photo before I cut into this puppy, but alas, I did the best I could.

Ok, I digress.  Yes, tonight's dinner looks like a mess on the plate, but the flavor was awesome.  I love Mexican food, as I believe I have mentioned previously.  And while I don't make it all that often, when I do, I do.  This recipe was so easy to make - really, it only has six ingredients, most of which you can purchase from the store and use as-is.  Food Network's Sandra Lee has coined this a "semi-homemade" dish.  And you know what, they are good and sometimes better than making something 100% from scratch.

This one is ooey and gooey and cheesey and delicious.  A deep pie pan is totally recommended - I used my not-so-new-but-first-time-being-used Pampered Chef deep dish pie pan I got for my - gulp - wedding shower.  It was perfect.  And don't be alarmed about how full the pin pan is - mine was to the rim and didn't make a mess of the oven.

My only suggestion - which I will do on the next go-around of this recipe - is to really let this sit for a solid 5-7 minutes before you attempt to cut and serve.  I think this would have helped it stay togheter and not look like mush on the plate.

Yet again, another Mexican fiesta on a plate!

Southwest Tortilla Bake
Southwest Tortilla Bake

What You Need:
How You Do It:
  1. Combine cooking sauce and salsa in bowl.
  2. Combine corn and chicken in separate bowl.
  3. Spread 1 cup sauce on bottom of pie pan.  Top with 1 tortilla, 1 cup sauce, 1/3 chicken mixture, and 1/3 cheese.  
  4. Repeat tortilla-sauce-chicken-cheese layers until the pie pan is full, ending with cheese.
  5. Bake 350* for 30 minutes until the center is warm and the cheese is lightly browned.
  6. Let sit for 5-7 minutes to set before serving.
Southwest Tortilla Bake recipe adapted from Pillsbury.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment