Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Orange-Basil Chicken

Meet my basil plant:
Basil!
While it might not look like more than a basil plant to you, you must understand - I cannot keep plants alive.  My mother-in-law buys me a fresh basil plant every year and I almost always kill it off.  The first year she pitied me when I killed off the first one and came later in the season with a second, I then killed as well.   Last year, while we were away cruising the Mediterranean on our honeymoon, my basil plant stayed with my MiL, which was a treat, as when we got back, it had doubled, yes doubled, in size!  She really knows how to keep 'em healthy! 

So this year when she came over for our Memorial Day BBQ, she brought me my plant - and lo and behold, it's growing like crazy!  So with all this basil, I started on my search for basil-infused recipes that didn't include red sauce - something non-Italian.

Insert tonight's dinner - while the basil wasn't at the forefront (and honestly, I could have used more), this was a great balance of orange, soy, ginger, and basil.  The fresh broccoli added a nice crunch and the rice soaked up the sweet, yet salty sauce.

A good use for basil - but yes, stay tuned, we'll get my favorite bolognese and pesto recipes eventually.  Until then, say a prayer (if you believe in that sort of thing) for the well-being of my basil plant!

Orange-Basil Chicken
Orange-Basil Chicken

What You Need:
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
  • 3 tbsp cornstarch, divided
  • 2 small broccoli crowns, cut into pieces
  • 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 3/4 c orange juice
  • 5 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/4 c honey
  • 3 tbsp grated fresh ginger
  • 1/4 c chopped fresh basil
  • 1 tsp grated orange rind
How You Do It:
  1. Toss chicken with 2 tbsp cornstarch, and set aside.
  2. Sauté broccoli in 1 tbsp hot oil in a large skillet, stirring occasionally until crisp-tender, remove from skillet and set aside.
  3. Sauté chicken pieces in remaining 1 tbsp hot oil, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until done. Reduce heat to medium.
  4. Whisk together orange juice, soy sauce, honey, ginger, and remaining 1tbsp  cornstarch. Add orange juice mixture and broccoli to chicken, and cook, stirring occasionally until sauce is thickened. 
  5. Stir in basil and orange rind.
Orange-Basil Chicken recipe adapted from MyRecipes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment