Thursday, January 10, 2013

Slow Cooker Asian Shredded Beef


Last night was one of those nights where I was ever-so-thankful for my slow cooker.  The night before, I had prepped dinner so I could get up, set the timer, and forget about preparing dinner when we got home from the gym.  And, when we walked in the door at 8:45p, I was even more thankful.  The slow cooker did all the work – I simply had to make some rice (which I set in my rice cooker before heading to the gym) and BAM, dinner was ready.

Three Thanksgivings ago my now-sister-in-law made the most amazing beef short ribs in her slow cooker.  This shredded beef recipe reminded me a lot of that recipe.  Five-spice, garlic, soy, honey – all the same flavors that go into her short ribs recipe – and the sauce was just about the same (maybe because we got the recipes off the same site?).

This was great over rice – would be amazing over potatoes.  A different twist on your standard pulled beef.

Slow Cooker Asian Shredded Beef
Asian Shredded Beef

What You Need:
  • 3 ½ lbs. boneless beef roast
  • 2 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 c  soy sauce
  • 1/2 c  hoisin sauce
  • 6 tbsp ketchup
  • 6 tbsp honey

How You Do It:
  1. Place beef in bottom of slow cooker insert.
  2. Sprinkle with five-spice powder.
  3. Top with minced garlic.
  4. In small bowl, combine honey, ketchup, soy, and hoisin.  Pour over beef.
  5. Cook on low 8-9 hours.  Shred with tongs.
Slow Cooker Asian Shredded Beef recipe adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment